We're the TOP FE College for Education and Training in Cornwall


Love where you live…


Where you live while you study is key to the success of your college experience. You need to ensure you are going to be happy in your surroundings. If you choose to move away from home, be assured we can help you every step of the way.

We offer a wide network of local landlords with a variety of accommodation available. Although there are no specific halls of residence at Falmouth Marine School, we have worked closely with local landlords for many years to develop an established network of housing to suit all tastes.

Useful information

We offer, the following housing options: rental through letting agents, private rental or a self-catering room within a family home.

Students must contact landlords/agents direct to arrange viewings of property. Any contracts you enter are between the landlord and yourselves, but we are here to help if you have any questions/queries.

House share
Renting a property with friends via a letting agent/private sector.

Note: letting agents have to be a member of one of three letting agent redress schemes. The letting agent redress scheme provides a free, independent service for resolving disputes between letting agents and their customers. Landlords and tenants can use the schemes. The decision made by a redress scheme is binding on all parties. Ask your letting agent which scheme they belong to or check their website. Some letting agents display details on stickers in their windows. There are three government approved letting agent redress schemes:

  • The Property Ombudsman (TPO)
  • The Property Redress Scheme
  • Ombudsman Services Property

Room in a private house
This is where you rent a room out in a house where the landlord currently lives, you are the lodger. This type of accommodation can offer a bit more support when it is your first time living away from home. We DBS check all over 18’s permanently residing in the property.

Please note that at Newquay and Falmouth campuses there is only limited accommodation for under 18’s living with landlords where they have a DBS check, so please ensure that you book early.

Private Flats/Studio Flat
Private flats can appear extremely appealing if you’ve had a bad experiences previously sharing with other students. The two things to consider are firstly, whether you enjoy your own company – understand that whilst you’ll probably be out socialising in the day; you’ll most likely be by yourself most nights. The other thing to consider with private flats is the price – they are likely to be the most expensive accommodation.

H.M.O. – Houses of Multiple Occupation
These are houses licenced by the local Council. From 1st October 2018 an HMO needs a licence if it is occupied by five or more people who form two or more households. The Council is responsible for enforcing HMO standards and can make a landlord take action to correct any problems. If you live in an HMO your landlord has to meet extra responsibilities which are in addition to their repair responsibilities. These are on:

  • fire and general safety – mainly the provision of properly working smoke and/or heat
    detectors with alarms and a safe means of escape in case of fire
  • water supply and drainage – these cannot be unreasonably interrupted and must be kept
    clean and in good repair
  • gas and electricity – appliances and installations must be safe, which includes arranging an
    annual gas safety check and having electrical installations checked at least every five years
  • communal areas – such as staircases, halls, corridors and entrances, must be kept in good
    decorative repair, clean and reasonably free from obstructions
  • waste disposal – there must be enough bins for rubbish and adequate means of disposing of
  • living accommodation – the living accommodation and any furniture supplied must be clean
    and in good repair.

Here are some useful websites to give you hints on what to consider when looking for a student rental:

Save the Student – House viewing checklist 

Gov.uk – How to rent


Falmouth is a booming tourist destination and the town has continued to flourish, with the recent influx of students. Falmouth is an appealing place, with a cobbled and pedestrianised main street, a series of fine sandy beaches at the opposite end of town to the harbour, many attractive old pubs and an abundance of cafes and cocktail bars and a vibrant night life. Places of interest include Pendennis Castle and the National Maritime Museum. The National Maritime Museum is a centre of nautical excellence and is based in Events Square. This is a vibrant part of Falmouth’s water front with a great mix of shops, businesses and cafes and restaurants. Falmouth has good rail links to and from Truro.



Truro is a bustling Cathedral City and is Cornwall’s main shopping hub and is home to all the major stores and chains, although there are plenty of small, independent shops hidden away down narrow back streets. The Royal Cornwall Musuem, on River Street, contains exhibits from archaeological excavations across the county as well as a genuine Egyptian mummy. Truro has a vibrant nightlife with many clubs, bars and restaurants. It also has a leisure centre. With its central location and good transport links, (it is on the main London to Penzance rail line), Truro makes a great base for
exploring the rest of Cornwall.



Accommodation costs can vary from location to location. Some accommodation will include all bills, utilities etc., and with some there will be additional costs. It is important to budget carefully.

Additional costs to consider when renting
When renting a property, the monthly rent is unlikely to be your only expense. There will be other costs you should consider in order to calculate how much you and your new housemates can afford each month.

TV licence:
This can be paid either annually or in monthly instalments. If you are renting a property on a group tenancy then you will be liable for only one licence, however if sharers with individual agreements will need a licence for each occupier that owns and uses a TV. If you’re renting a room in a private hall, you need to check if you need a TV licence for a TV in your living area or bedroom. You’re also required to purchase a TV licence if you watch live streaming via your PC or laptop. (see links below)

Utility bills:
These are payable in a number of ways and it is advisable to check with your landlord/letting agent what exactly they require from you (many will ask for proof of payments before returning your deposit).

Internet/Digital TV:
Internet access and TV not always included in monthly rental.

Contents insurance:
Definitely something to consider and well worth the money just in case something were to happen.

Council tax:
Whilst full–time students are exempt from this, part–time students are not. If you are planning on living with part–time students, you will need to take council tax into consideration. (You will need to obtain a certificate from the college confirming your course details to take to the
Council to obtain exemption).

Food can be expensive. Cut down the costs by eating together – it’s a great social activity and it’ll save you money.

From September 2016 Renting A Home
You need to be covered by a TV Licence to watch or record live TV programmes on any channel, or download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer.
This could be on any device, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder. If you do any of the above without a valid licence, you risk prosecution and a maximum penalty of up to £1,000, plus any legal costs and/or compensation
you may be ordered to pay. You will also still have to buy a TV Licence if you need one.

To find out more, go to tvlicensing.co.uk/studentinfo

How can I buy a TV Licence?
There are lots of different ways to buy a TV Licence. Whether that’s through weekly cash payments, using your nearest PayPoint outlet, spreading the cost with monthly, quarterly or yearly direct debit, credit/debit card or by post – just choose the one that suits you best.

For more information on the ways to pay, go to tvlicensing.co.uk/payinfo

What if I live in a shared house?
You’ll probably only need one licence between you if you have a joint tenancy agreement for the whole house – this is the most common type of shared house arrangement. You might need your own licence if your accommodation is self-contained. That means you have exclusive access to washing facilities, or your own entrance to the property. You will also need your own licence if you have a separate tenancy agreement for your own room. If you’re not sure, check our advice for tenants and lodgers.

Won’t my parents’ licence cover me?
Your parents’ licence will not cover you while you’re away at uni unless you only use a device that’s powered solely by its own internal batteries and not connected to the mains.

What if I’m not at uni for the summer?
If you’re leaving your halls or rented accommodation and moving back home for the summer, there’s a good chance you won’t need your TV Licence if there’s one at home. You can see our policy and apply for a refund online

Assured shorthold tenants have a number of important rights.

Most landlords will give you an inventory at the start of your tenancy. You will be in a much stronger position to argue about maintenance issues if you have filled out an inventory; or have taken photographs of the property on the day of moving in.

You should be given a copy of the tenancy agreement before you move in, and it would normally include the date it began, the rent due and when it must be paid, how and when the rent can be changed and the length of any fixed term. Always a good idea to ask for a copy of the tenancy agreement and to check it carefully before you sign it.

However, if your landlord does have a right to evict you (The tenant) if:

  • The tenant not being able to pay the rent consistently
  • The tenant breaking the tenancy agreement in some serious way
  • The tenant causing damage to the landlord’s property
  • The tenant disturbing the neighbourhood or showing antisocial behaviour
  • The tenant carrying out any illegal activity (e.g. drug dealing) within the rented property

Your landlord must put your deposit in a government-backed tenancy deposit scheme (TDP) if you rent your chosen accommodation on an assured shorthold tenancy that started after 6 April 2007. However, if you do not have an assured shorthold tenancy your landlord doesn’t have to use this scheme but it is advisable. In England and Wales your deposit can be registered with:

  • Deposit Protection Service (Custodial and Insured)
  • MyDeposits
  • Tenancy Deposit Scheme (Custodial and Insured)

They make sure you’ll get your deposit back if you:

  • meet the terms of your tenancy agreement

Your landlord or letting agent must put your deposit in the scheme within 30 days of receiving it.

At the end of your tenancy

Your landlord must return your deposit within 10 days of you both agreeing how much you’ll get

If you’re in a dispute with your landlord, then your deposit will be protected in the TDP scheme until the issue is sorted out.

Holding deposits (this is the payment to secure your chosen accommodation)

Your landlord doesn’t have to protect a holding deposit (money you pay to ‘hold’ a property before an agreement is signed). Once you become a tenant, the holding deposit becomes a deposit, which they must protect.

Deposits made by a third party
Your landlord must use a TDP scheme even if your deposit is paid by someone else, e.g. a rent deposit scheme or your parents.

For more information go to https://www.gov.uk/tenancy-deposit-protection/overview

Residential Bursary 16 – 18 years

If you are studying a further education course, your daily return travelling time would be more than 2 hours and your household income is less than £40,000, you may be eligible for assistance with accommodation costs with a Residential Bursary.

For more details please contact Lena Welch on 01395 562393

Residential Bursary 19 – 30 years

If you are studying a further education course, your daily return travelling time would be more than 2 hours and your household income is less than £31,000, you may be eligible for assistance with accommodation costs with a Residential Bursary. Please note that this bursary is not for people who relocate. Students are expected to retain their home address and will need to provide evidence of this.

For more details please contact Lena Welch on 01395 562393

Go through the inventory with the landlord before you even unpack your belongings. This is a list of all items within the property and the condition they are in. If you disagree with something this is the time to document it on the inventory.

  • Take photographic evidence of all areas of the property (internally and externally) before you unpack. Make sure your photos are dated.
  • Get the landlord to show you where the water stop cock is and where the meters are for gas and electricity. Take meter readings.
  • Ensure that the landlord gives you a copy of your tenancy agreement, details of where the deposit is being held and their contact details in case of emergency.
  • Make sure you know the refuse collection days.

Please note that the accommodation list is made available to you free of charge. Cornwall College has compiled the list to assist you with securing accommodation close to our academic hubs.

Before including any property in this list, we have carried out a brief visit to the property for our own purposes. However, the Cornwall College Group does not guarantee that the properties are safe or meet your requirements. You must therefore rely upon your own inspection and enquiries.

We do not recommend that you secure a property and sign into a tenancy agreement without first having viewed it.  Should you have any queries about the tenancy, you should take your own independent legal advice.

The Cornwall College Group accepts no responsibility for any losses or damage arising to any student or student’s property as a result of securing accommodation in a property which is included in this accommodation list.   The Cornwall College Group has the right to remove any property from this list should any relevant concerns be brought to attention.

Click here to see all properties

Current vacancies

Chy-An-Gwel, Mawnan Smith, Nr Falmouth TR11 5ER

Chy-An-Gwel, Mawnan Smith, Nr Falmouth TR11 5ER

  • Location – Grove Hill, Mawnan Smith, Falmouth TR11 5ER, UK
  • Type –
  • Cost – £500 p.c.m. plus electric on a card meter and TV licence. 10 months Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement. 1 month’s rent as deposit. Registered with government Tenancy Deposit Scheme.
  • Current vacancies – 1
View Property

See All Vacancies

Get in touch

  0330 123 2523


Got a space suitable for student rental?

We are looking for accommodation in Camborne, Falmouth, Newquay and St Austell areas for Higher Education students studying at degree level with the Cornwall College Group.  Do you have a spare room to rent out, a flat or house to rent or do you know anyone in this area who could provide accommodation for Higher Education students (18+)? You could rent a room under the Government’s ‘Rent a Room Scheme?’:gov.uk/rent-room-in-your-home

Students study for 2 and 3 years and courses run from September to June.  Secure payments, deposits and references can be obtained.

If you are interested or know anyone else who might be able to help please contact: our Offsite Student Accommodation Officer.